Purpose of the Governing Body
The governing board provides strategic leadership and accountability in the school. It has three key functions:
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent
- Holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
Operation of the Governing Body
Governors set the aims and objectives for the school and set the policies and targets for achieving those aims and objectives. They monitor and evaluate the progress the school is making and act as a source of challenge and support to the headteacher. In action, this means:
- Appointing and performance reviewing the head teacher and senior leaders, including making decisions about pay
- Managing budgets and deciding how money is spent
- Engaging with pupils, staff, parents and the school community
- Sitting on panels and making decisions about things like pupil exclusions and staff disciplinary
- Addressing a range of education issues within the school including disadvantaged pupils, pupils with special needs, staff workload and teacher recruitment
- Looking at data and evidence to ask questions and have challenging conversations about the school
Governors adopt the Nolan principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
The Full Governing Body meets six times a year.
The Finance & Premises committee meets six times a year
‘Task and Finish’ groups are created as required throughout the year to focus on specific areas of work.
Governors are assigned to ‘link’ areas according to their skill set and the requirements of the school.
Governors support the school on other ad hoc panels, in dealing with complaints and on recruitment panels.
Make Up of the Governing Body
Governors are drawn from across the community and include parents, staff governor, a Local Authority governor, and other members of the local community. They bring a diverse range of skills and experience that they use to support the school.
Becoming a Governor
If you are interested in becoming a governor, please contact me care of the School Office or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Minutes of Governing Body Meetings
Copies of the non-confidential minutes from the Governors’ Meetings are available on request. Please email me to access copies:
Chair of Governors